- Find a Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist
- Lara from Pelvic Resilience is an OT who specializes in pelvic health and offers holistic support to women who are undergoing major life transitions, prenatally and postpartum. Her practice is in Uptown Waterloo.
- Dr. Michaela McClure is an excellent chiropractor who specializes in prenatal and postpartum care (and core recovery). She practices out of Transitions in Health in Uptown Waterloo.
- Dr. Joanna Thiessen is a Naturopathic Doctor whose practice focuses on creating healthy babies and happy parents.
- Cranial Waves offers cranial sacral & other therapies for the whole family (including newborns having difficulty latching). Jules is amazing.
- Would you love to get a massage, but find the logistics with your little one(s) challenging? Knead a Break offers complimentary childminding!
- Katie Kahvo is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist with a wealth of information on pre-conception nutrition and overcoming fertility challenges in general.
Breastfeeding Support & Resources:
- La Leche League:
- A mother to mother community of support, where trained leaders can offer insights on specific breastfeeding issues and facilitate the sharing of experiences
- Meetings are open to all women, pregnant, parent or support:
- The first Thursday morning of every month at 10am - First United Church (Labyrinth Room), 16 William Street West, Waterloo, N2L 1J3
- The second Wednesday evening of every month at 7:30pm - Downtown Community Centre, 35B Weber Street West, Kitchener, N2H 3Z1
- Local contact for information or help: 519-579-3800
- Resources: http://www.llli.org/nb.html
- Kellymom.com: my favourite online reference for all breastfeeding-related questions
- Favourite books:
- Breastfeeding Made Simple, by Nancy Mohrbacher is an excellent read in pregnancy or while nursing. It explains in clear and simple language how to get breastfeeding off to a good start and avoid common challenges, so that you're able to filter the good advice from the bad and make informed choices that best serve you and your baby. Nancy also created a Breastfeeding Solutions app to help you troubleshoot issues you might be experiencing.
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is another great reference. A La Leche League publication, the information is conveniently organized into different stages of your breastfeeding relationship, so you can read about to expect in the early days with your newborn, or when your baby is 4-6 months, or 2 years old or when you're introducing solids, or going back to work, etc...
- Breastfeeding Buddies offers a "Breastfeeding Cafe" at the YMCA Early Years at 161 Roger Street, Waterloo, every Monday from 10-11am.
- More breastfeeding support in the Waterloo Region
- The breastbowl is a glass blown receptacle specifically designed for convenient collection and transfer of hand expressed breast milk, handmade and innovated by a Kitchener mom.
POSTPARTUM SUPPORT & GENERAL COUNSELLING SERVICES:
- We have a Postpartum Therapeutic Arts & Peer Support Group that meets Mondays from 1-2:30pm. Details here!
- Grand River Hospital’s postpartum mood disorders support group: call 519-749-4300, extension 2267
- Grand River Hospital’s crisis clinic (weekends and evenings): call 519-742-3611 & ask for the crisis clinic
- Stork Secrets: Postpartum Adjustment - Recovery and Discovery (Our Place Family Resource and Early Years Centre)
- No Women Left Behind at Wellness Team on Queen, meets the second Tuesday of each month from 10:30am - noon. Join the Facebook group here for online support.
- Canadian Mental Health Association: Waterloo Wellington
- Postpartum Support International
- Lisa Aldworth, MSW, RSW, Therapist, specializes in birth trauma and postpartum mood disorders
- Adrienne Luft is a therapist who does a lot of work with parents and families. She practices out of Southern Ontario Counselling Centre in St. Agatha.
- Ways to Mental Wellbeing offers tips for simple actions to help you stay well and has a resource page of local support services if you need help.
- The Kitchener Public Library is a gem! The beautifully remodelled downtown branch has a huge and engaging kids' section with countless wonderful books, lots of free programming AND there is a Hacienda cafe counter in case you need a coffee or snack fix.
- Looking for a Music Teacher? Russell Music Teaching Studios offers lessons for all ages, including piano, guitar, violin, voice, ukulele, bass, rock band and musical theory. Charlena is an engaging and patient teacher, who is passionate about inspiring a love of music in her students.
- Take yourself on a movie date! Cine Babies takes place on Wednesdays at 1pm at the Princess Cinema in Uptown Waterloo.